There are few days in the year that evoke the reaction that Valentine’s Day does. Restaurants and candy makers love it. Florists are flooded with orders and greeting card companies swell with nearly 2 million Valentine’s mailed. But what if you don’t want to celebrate all the lovey-dovey stuff on February 14th?
No problem. There are plenty of great reasons to celebrate on February 14th. Here are some of our favorite reasons:
- Lots of famous birthdays including UPS, which was “born” in 1919
- It’s also known as the “Feast of St. Valentine.” So, you make it a good excuse to treat yourself.
- On 2/14/62 the First Lady appeared in a televised tour of the White House – a first for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
- Its more than halfway (from New Year’s) to Spring.
- The League of Women Voters was founded on Valentine’s Day in 1920
- Also, on Valentine’s Day, NASCAR held its first race in 1948
- St. Patrick’s Day is only a month away
- If you’re from Arizona, you have a reason to celebrate. Arizona became a state on February 14, 1912
- Also, Oregonians can celebrate as they joined the United States in 1859
- Its also halfway through the month, so you’re almost to March
- Celebrate the heart a day early. On February 15th 1972 the first patent was obtained for the first artificial heart.
- The telephone was also patented on February 14th in 1876
- The state of Virginia celebrated love by overturning Same-Sex Marriage ban in 2014.
- We’re halfway through the first quarter of the year, too.
- In Finland, February 14th is ystävänpäivä which translates into Friend's Day
- Some celebrate National Ferris Wheel Day on February 14th
- What would become Oscar Wilde’s most famous story “The Importance of Being Earnest” opened on 2/14 in London
- February 14th is on a Thursday so will likely need a mid-week pick me up, so a cupcake might be just what you need.
Whatever you’re celebrating this week, we hope you’ll come see us. See below for some special items in the shop. Have a Happy February 14th!!!
We'll have some fun sugar cookies, a variety of macarons and our Daily Flavors will be replaced with:
Red Hot Velvet
Chocolate Covered Strawberry
Raspberry Passion Fruit
Gluten-Free: Raspberry Passion Fruit
Gluten Free/Dairy Free: Chocolate